Washington Community Alliance (WCA) and Washington Community Alliance Action Fund (WCA AF) are statewide coalitions of over 60 organizations and tribes led by and working in communities of color. We organize to close the representation gap for people of color in elected office, and to make the systemic changes we need for Black and Brown communities to share in the prosperity all of us build. We’re putting in the work to build a strong, unified coalition that makes us greater than the sum of our parts through leadership development, capacity building, policy advocacy & systems change, and political power & representation.
We are a growing team that takes pride in building an organizational culture that actively cultivates the trust and relationships necessary for collective action at scale given the challenges in our democracy. We are committed to developing individual and team skills, sharing leadership, open communication, and modeling a healthy work/life balance.
We are looking for a self-starter with strong organizational skills and attention to detail to join WCA & WCA AF’s team as our Operations Manager. The Operations Manager will be supervised by the Operations Director and support the financial, technical, and administrative success of WCA & WCA AF. This position will be at the core of ensuring our organization operates smoothly and all staff have what they need to be successful in their roles. This is a remote position that can be based anywhere in Washington State with planned occasional in-person meetings. This is a temporary position through December 2023 with the possibility of transition to a permanent position.
Financial Management and Administration (45%)
- Support the Operations Director in managing the approximately $1.5 million annual budget and provide timely and accurate budget updates and other key financial information to staff and board
- Perform monthly financial tasks, including: processing invoices and reimbursements; review expense reports; and monthly book closing with the accountant and fiscal sponsor
- Administer compliance tracking and reporting for the c3 and c4 including campaigns and lobbying
- Implement financial policies and internal controls that ensure the separation of WCA - 501(c)(3) and WCA AF - 501(c)(4)
- Assist with preparation of tax filings, including form 990, and manage all organizational licenses, filings, insurance, and renewals
Human Resources and Operations (40%)
- Help build and solidify WCA & WCA AF organizational practices including: implementing standard operating procedures, maintaining organizational systems & structures
- Manage human resources administration including: payroll processing; benefits management; updating contracts; hiring and onboarding new staff; and personnel documentation
- Manage technology needs and strategy, including: managing donor database, and all technology platforms; setting up new staff laptops; troubleshooting technical issues; updating software and hardware; overseeing data security; and making recommendations for new practices, procedures, or platforms
- Support organizational administration, including: ordering supplies and equipment; providing administrative support to staff; coordinating logistics and materials for in-person staff meetings & retreats
- Implement and update policies and procedures that are aligned with WCA & WCA AF’s mission, core values and commitment to racial equity.
Partner & Development Support (15%)
- Support in execution of partner & fundraising events including: securing venues and food for all events; coordinating all event materials and supplies; supporting with on-site logistics, including managing vendors and volunteers, and event set-up and tear-down
- Provide development support to the Executive Director including: preparing financial documentation for proposals & reports, processing donations and follow-up
Minimum Experience & Skills
- 3+ years of experience in operations, finance, human resources, and/or office management, preferably in political, nonprofit, and/or grassroots organizations
- Experience with event coordination
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and racial and gender equity
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Willingness and aptitude to learn new technical skills
- Able to work independently and in a team setting
- Able to manage several tasks/projects concurrently, with the initiative to create a work plan, set and achieve goals, and effectively prioritize competing priorities
- Experience with Google Suite including Docs, Sheets, Drive or similar platforms
Desired Experience & Skills
- Experience with data entry/management or bookkeeping
- Experience with 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(4) non-profit compliance
- Communication and editing skills
- Experience with EveryAction or equivalent CRM software
Compensation and Benefits
Salary Range: $70,000 - $75,000 annualized based on experience. This is a full time (40 hours/week) salaried position that requires a willingness to occasionally work outside of normal business hours.
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, & vision insurance plus an annual wellness stipend
- unlimited discretionary PTO, 14 paid holidays plus a 2 week paid winter break
- monthly work from home stipend and professional development stipend
Anticipated Start Date: Mid-March, 2023
Please send application materials including a resume and cover letter with “Operations Manager” in the subject line to Shin Shin at email@example.com. Priority deadline for applications is Monday, February 6th, 2023; interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis.
Washington Community Alliance believes that a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace culture enhances our ability to fulfill our mission. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.