Fuse Communications Fellow
Do you think Washington should lead the nation with smart, progressive policies to build a strong middle class, racial justice, and a better future for our kids? Are you excited about helping elect progressive candidates to office in Washington who can make that happen? Do you follow #waleg for news and enjoy learning about Washington state politics? If so, this job may be for you!
Fuse Washington is hiring a Communications Fellow to help us create our Progressive Voters Guide and expand our social media reach through the November election.
We’re looking for a multi-talented individual to provide research, written communications, and social media support for the Fuse communications team. The fellow will conduct in-depth research on candidates for office and summarize them in clear and concise recommendations using the website’s style and tone. In addition, this person will track developments and trends in Washington political social media for the organization.
This is a temporary, remote position through November 13, 2020 that reports to the Digital Communications Manager. The position is flexible for 20 to 40 hours per week, depending on the availability of the selected candidate.
Key areas of responsibility
- Research and draft recommendations for https://progressivevotersguide.com/washington
- Update primary election recommendations
- Support digital ad creation as needed
- Monitor Facebook and Twitter and identify post opportunities for Fuse
Work, volunteer, academic, and life experience are all acceptable
- Demonstrated creative and analytical writing abilities, with an eye to making politics accessible and interesting for the public on short deadlines
- A passion for progressive politics in Washington
- Proficiency with social media
- A commitment to racial justice
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, campaign-style work environment
Extra Credit Qualifications
None of these skills or experiences are required for an applicant to be competitive.
- Political campaign experience
- Grassroots organizing experience
- Experience managing organizational or branded accounts on Twitter, Facebook, or other social media platforms
- Experience working to advance racial justice
- Ability to speak and/or write fluently in Spanish
This contract position pays $28 per hour.
Please submit all of the following materials no later than August 3 to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Short cover letter explaining your interest in Fuse and this position
- One short writing sample – advocacy or other writing preferred that’s similar to https://progressivevotersguide.com/washington.
No phone calls or drop-ins, please. Applications will be considered as they arrive.
Fuse Washington is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. All interested individuals, including women and men of color, persons with disabilities, and persons who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or intersex are particularly urged to apply.
Fuse Washington (www.fusewashington.org) is the state’s largest progressive organization – people creating change online, on the ground, and on issues that matter.
Our goals at Fuse are to help progressives win more often and give ordinary people a strong voice in politics. We aim to provide organizing and communications power that helps progressives win today and tomorrow on critical issues and electoral campaigns, while strengthening the foundation for increased success over time. There are four basic strategies we use to help win campaigns and build long-term progressive success:
- Organizing: We mobilize grassroots activists online and offline, build councils of local leaders in key areas that drive the state's balance of power, and we organize political donors. We also organize coalitions when leveraging collaboration is critical to a campaign's success and Fuse is strategically well positioned to do so.
- Communications: We deliver stories and messages that move people through new media and the news media, and we train others in the progressive community to communicate more effectively as well. We also produce high-quality research to support targeted campaigns and understand our opponents.
- Increasing accountability and promoting leadership: We hold decision-makers' feet to the fire when they let voters down, and we back leaders who fuel progress.
- Targeting the obstacles to progress: Our highest priority is to solve the political problems that hold everyone back.
Fuse has several strengths as an organization that fuel our work:
- A culture of innovation and creativity: we always aim to be an innovation engine and a game changer.
- Long-term timeline and a focus on movement and capacity building: our strategies are designed to build long-term power for progressives in Washington while also delivering short-term results.
- Speed and nimbleness: we possess a dynamic flexibility to tackle urgent challenges and capitalize on opportunities.