The Washington Bus is seeking an energetic, highly motivated Field Director to join in our efforts to
increase civic engagement of young people (ages 15 - 35), to help change the face of Washington
politics, register thousands of young people to vote in the Puget Sound Region and educate them
about the 2020 Census. In 2018 we registered over 6,500 young people and they turned out to vote at
a rate of 16.8% higher than those not in our universe. If you are passionate about organizing our
generation for change – from canvassing to voter registration to Get out the Vote (GOTV) efforts – and
have experience designing and implementing successful field and advocacy organizing programs – we
want to hear from you.
About the Washington Bus
The Washington Bus is a statewide movement building organization that engages young people in the
civic process. We focus our resources on empowering young people of color, LGBTQ youth, first
generation college students, and young people from working class and immigrant communities. We
activate our generation through education, civic participation, and hands-on democracy, and work to
put the young people most often excluded from the political process at its center.
▪ Lead all aspects of the Washington Bus’s voter engagement and issue campaigns in
collaboration with other program team members. Responsible for meeting all relevant goals,
objectives, and priorities.
▪ Develop annual metrics for voter registration and GOTV efforts including phone and text banks,
volunteers and door canvassing.
▪ Lead the execution of GOTV efforts to ensure goal attainment.
▪ Lead the implementation of the Census 2020 field plan ensuring goal attainment.
▪ Create a robust volunteer program including recruitment, management and plugging
volunteers into leadership opportunities.
▪ Coordinate field and metrics reporting to relevant stakeholders.
▪ Lead advocacy organizing efforts especially during the legislative session.
▪ Provide task supervision to the Leadership Development Manager, the King County
Engagement Manager, and any other organizing staff to ensure annual goals are being
▪ Other duties as assigned.
What We Are Looking For:
▪ Enthusiasm and belief in the Washington Bus’s mission to engage young people in the civic
▪ Demonstrated ability to self-manage, set priorities, take initiative and collaborate with others
to move projects forward in a fast-paced environment.
▪ Self-starter, highly organized and able to work efficiently and effectively under tight deadlines.
▪ Creative thinker with strong problem-solving skills and analytical ability. (You have ideas on
how we can better achieve our goals; you regularly troubleshoot your plans and can make
adjustments as needed.)
▪ Experience using NGP/Voter Activation Network or other campaign databases.
▪ 3+ years’ experience developing, implementing, and managing large scale field campaigns.
▪ 2+ years’ experience leading a diverse team.
▪ Ability to engage and connect with people of all backgrounds around civic engagement
▪ Knowledge of voting rights issues in Washington state and prior experience in a legislative or
campaign environment .
▪ Ability to demonstrate an understanding of how power and privilege create barriers to access in
our political system.
▪ Demonstrated commitment to equity and social justice
▪ Positive attitude, team spirit, and flexibility.
▪ Active driver’s license required; having a car at your disposal is even better as this job requires a
lot of travel around the region, including nights and weekends.
The Washington Bus seeks to cultivate a diverse and inclusive workplace. Candidates who represent
the diversity and lived experiences of communities with which we work are strongly encouraged to
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume demonstrating relevant experience, and at least two references in
one pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include “Field Director” in your subject line.
Applications submitted by October 14, 2019 will be given priority consideration. Interviews will be
scheduled on a rolling basis, and this position will be open until filled.
This is a full-time temporary position starting now and going through June 2020, with a possibility of
extension and/or permanency. Compensation is $45,000 - $55,000 annually DOE. This role is not
eligible for overtime pay. The Washington Bus offers a comprehensive benefits package, including
ORCA pass, 100% employer paid medical, dental, and vision coverage, generous paid time-off, and a
flexible work environment.
These job descriptions do not constitute a written or implied contract of employment. The Washington
Bus reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. The
Washington Bus is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and values diverse perspectives, life
experiences, and differences. We are committed to being equitable and fair in providing equal access to
opportunities for all. The Washington Bus encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including
people of color, LGBTQ people, women, immigrants, people with disabilities and veterans. We believe
that a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace culture enhances our ability to fulfill our mission.