South King County Organizer (East African Community)
Employment type: Full-time
Salary Range: $40,000-55,000
Program Area: Organizing
Reports To: Organizing Director
OneAmerica is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage women, people of color and LGBTQ candidates to apply.
OneAmerica is a Seattle-based nonprofit whose mission is to advance the fundamental principles of democracy and justice by building power in immigrant communities.
OneAmerica was established in 2001 by U.S. Representative Pramila Jayapal and has since grown to become a locally and nationally recognized leader in advancing immigrant, civil, and human rights. Our strategies include grassroots organizing, policy advocacy, immigrant integration programs and civic/electoral engagement. Our family of organizations consists of OneAmerica (501(c)3), OneAmerica Votes ((501(c)4), OAV Justice for All PAC (federal PAC) and OneAmerica Votes Justice Fund (PAC). Our work today is more important than ever, and OneAmerica is growing and becoming stronger to meet our current political challenges. In the past three years, as a result of our efforts we have:
• Established a democratic trifecta by electing the most diverse state legislature in Washington’s history with women of color in the forefront. • Passed the strongest sanctuary policy in the country limiting collaboration between ICE and law enforcement and protecting immigrants from deportation. • Enacted the Washington Voting Rights Act to eliminate racially polarized voting and ensure our local jurisdictions represent our demographics. • Filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration for the agencies arbitrary and capricious implementation of the federal waiver to the Muslim Travel Ban. • Flipped a congressional house seat laying the groundwork for the recent passage of the Dream & Promise Act in the house.
During this time of growth and opportunity OneAmerica is working to strengthen our response to the emboldened racism and xenophobia facing our communities by building the social and political power of immigrants and refugees in Washington State. A significant challenge in this moment is remaining bold in our response to the national backlash facing immigrants and refugees while also staying focused on our core goals of building power and a long-term agenda for our state. Given the current political environmental in our state and OneAmerica’s strong reputation, we are poised to drive bold ideas for immigrant power and protection, and shift relationships of power with key elected leaders and institutions in Washington State.
OneAmerica is seeking an organizer who is deeply passionate about building relationships to advance power through strengthening a base of East African grassroots leaders in south King County to advance justice.
OneAmerica is looking for an enthusiastic organizer who is passionate about relationship building and ambitious about building grassroots power in immigrant, in particular East African communities, in south King County. OneAmerica has recently undertaken a new strategic direction, doubling down on transformative organizing by building a movement in which leaders are developed through our movement for justice. The south King County Organizer will focus on building a team of leaders and developing their leadership skills with a focus on running local campaigns on education, economic justice, democracy reform and immigration and establishing crosscultural alliances. This position is perfect for someone excited to drive key campaigns in south King County focused on building a powerful base of grassroots leaders in the region to lead this change.
Grassroots Organizing and Leadership Development - 70% ● Through one-on-ones and relationships, build a base group of East African leaders in south King County, with particular attention on SeaTac and Tukwila, supporting our leaders to develop leadership skills, run local campaigns and eventually, in some cases, run for office.
● Develop and deliver leadership development and advocacy trainings tailored to diverse immigrant and refugee communities. ● Manage monthly base group meetings; track and implement base building and leadership development goals. ● Design and implement a strategy to advocate at school board and city council meetings in South King County. • Educate voters, run voter registration canvasses, and coordinate leaders and volunteers around civic engagement and electoral activities. • Support OneAmerica’s Grassroots Leadership Council, especially members representing south King County and the broader East African community, to drive organizational direction and strategy. • Mobilize community members and coalition partners to attend target events.
Coalition/External Stakeholder Relationships - 20%
• Ability to conduct power analysis and identify key issues to run local campaigns. • Work with community partners to build systems-level change at local and state levels, including developing strategies, engaging in dialogue, and planning meetings, events, rallies, forums, etc. • Work closely with the Road Map Project and other organizations in South King County to drive organizing strategy in education system. • Represent OneAmerica at meetings, forums and public speaking engagements.
Team Leadership- 10%
• Work collaboratively with a team of organizers invested in building power and establishing deep relationships with grassroots leaders. • Implement organizing strategies to bring out the best in people as principled, grounded leaders in the community. • Report on grants and contracts. • Track data using Salesforce. • Compliance reporting during election season.
We’re seeking candidates who excel in movement-building, are results-oriented, are hungry to learn new skills and build relationships and have strong grassroots organizing skills. While no one candidate will embody all of the qualifications below we are looking for:
• Minimum of a year of experience in community, labor, or electoral organizing, with particular emphasis on organizing within diverse immigrant and refugee communities. • Strong listening skills and passion for developing and training new leaders. • Ability to think strategically, and have experience in program planning and campaign execution. • Strong analysis of power and racial equity with demonstrated experience building cross racial movements. • Strong verbal, listening, and written communications skills. • Excellent group facilitation and coalition-building skills, and an ability to develop effective relationships with diverse allies and constituents. • Ability to thrive within a fast-paced environment while maintaining effective time management and organization methods. • Willingness to travel and accommodate community-based scheduling needs such as evening and weekend meetings. • Access to a reliable vehicle and a valid Washington State driver’s license required. • Experience with basic computer programs, including Outlook and Microsoft Office Suite (database experience also a plus). • Bilingual skills preferred.
• Salary range is $40,000-$55,000
• Competitive benefits package of health, vision, dental, life, short- and long-term disability, Flexible Spending Account (FSA), 403(b) retirement plans; 7 weeks paid time off, paid family leave, ORCA transit card or vehicle stipend and opportunities for sabbatical.
• OneAmerica is committed to employee growth and advancement, including opportunities for professional development.
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before August 31, 2019 with the subject line “South King County Organizer.” Preferably, cover letter should describe your passion for building power in immigrant communities. Position will be open until filled. Please website at www.weareoneamerica.org to learn more about OneAmerica.