Win|Win is a network of progressive organizations coming together to advance racial, social, and economic equity across Washington through civic and political engagement. Our partners work together to build a new political landscape that inspires people; where individuals engage because they see themselves and their values reflected across our democracy. Win|Win provides our network with strategic coordination, data and research, and technical assistance to increase our ability to create change together.
We are building an organizational culture rooted in trust, collaboration, and learning, with an ongoing commitment to use an anti-racist lens throughout all of our work. We are committed to developing individual and team skills, sharing leadership, open communication, and a healthy work/life balance. We strive to help our partners have a powerful and systemic, and sustainable impact on the political and civic landscape in Washington State.
About the Position
Data is one of the most important and powerful ways we support grassroots organizing and social change in Washington. We are looking for a Data Manager who can both use existing data to help advance a more just and healthy democracy and who can envision and help us bring about more equitable civic engagement data systems. The Data Manager will manage our internal data systems, oversee staff who provide front-line support to network partners on VAN and digital tools, and drive a continuous quality improvement to making voter data and data systems more equitable, accurate, and accessible.
This role will be remote until Washington State reaches Phase 4 of our State’s COVID-19 reopening plan (projected mid-to-late 2021). Preference will be given to candidates who live in or are willing to relocate to Washington State once we reach Phase 4. This position is part of our growing program team supervised by the Program Director. All staff are expected to provide leadership and proactive learning to advance our mission, vision, and values. The Data Manager will be expected to act as a champion for the Win|Win Network and our partners by understanding their programs and trends impacting the communities they serve.
Data Strategy & Partner Support (50%)
- Use an equity lens to lead efforts to improve quality, accuracy, and accessibility of voter data and database systems used by Win|Win network partners
- Use voter data, data models and other data resources to develop targeting strategy and analyses to inform collective network priorities around voter engagement, advocacy and political campaigns, and other organizing efforts.
- Work closely with Political Manager and other Managers to coordinate recommendations for network partners on data-driven capacity building and civic engagement programs, including standards for data collection, data acquisition, and preservation.
- Provide technical assistance with the use of VAN and other field tools for network partners
VAN & Tools Oversight & Staff Management (25%)
- Manage two Data Associates who act as VAN Administrators and front-line network partner support as direct reports
- Monitor use of the c3 and c4 VAN systems to ensure compliance with state and national policies, including managing data memoranda of understanding (MOUs) processes with network partners
- Maintain systems for documenting voter contact, turnout, and election protection data.
- Make recommendations for additional field tools that will support and scale the table’s strategy and partner field work.
- Support Program Team in troubleshooting VAN and technical assistance requests from partners
Coordinating with National and State-based data staff (25%)
● Function as part of a national data peer network, which includes regular calls and trainings with State Voices and America Votes, to help maintain a shared data infrastructure across the states
● Participate in national working groups to develop nation-wide standards and best practices.
Minimum Experience & Skills
- 1-2 years experience in a data-focused role OR field role using VAN / Votebuilder;
- 1-2 years experience (formal or informal) managing or mentoring staff and / or volunteers;
- 1-2 years experience working in coalition with partners, or experience working in diverse communities, particularly in communities of color;
- 1-2 years data analysis experience with voter, demographic, and other applicable data sets with ability to effectively communicate findings to non-technical audiences;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel / Google Sheets
- Diplomatic, professional approach to problem solving and the ability to think independently and creatively;
- A track record of advancing racial equity outcomes and ability to work effectively with communities of color in political, advocacy, and/or community organizing settings.
Desired Experience & Skills
- Experience managing contracts and relationship with external vendors
- Familiarity with mapping and/or data visualization software tools
- Familiarity with civic engagement tools / constituent relations management (CRM) systems
- Background in 501(c)(3) / 501(c)(4) compliance rules
- Passion for Win|Win’s mission and for building capacity for our grassroots advocacy partners
Compensation & Benefits
Starting Salary: $58,000 - 66,000 (dependent on experience). This is a full time (40 hours/week) salaried position that requires a willingness to occasionally work outside of normal business hours.
Benefits: 100% employer-paid medical, dental, vision, Orca card transit pass, simple IRA with employer match, paid vacation, sick time and 10 paid holidays. Two flexible “mental health days” off until Phase 4 of WA State COVID-19 reopening plan takes effect in King County.
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com and include “Data Manager” in the subject line. Priority consideration deadline for this position is October 19, 2020; final deadline for receiving an application is October 29, 2020. Anticipated start date is January 16, 2021.
If you have specific questions before applying, please contact our Office Administrator, Lisa Pubigee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Win/Win, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.