Do you love writing and storytelling?
Do you want to get out in the community and work with progressive campaigns to tell powerful stories?
Do you feel butterflies in your stomach when you hear or read a powerful speech?
The Communications Organizer is part of our Communications Hub program: an invaluable team of storytellers and trainers.
WHAT IS THE COMMUNICATIONS HUB?
The Communications Hub is a statewide program housed at Fuse Washington, the largest progressive organization in Washington State. We act as a communications “toolshed” for the progressive movement – working with progressive campaigns and organizations to tell powerful and unifying stories about their work. We do this by providing communications support, storytelling training and coaching, and direct staffing capacity to strengthen advocacy campaigns. We work on a variety of progressive issues, but our top priorities are democracy reform, voting access, climate justice, progressive tax reform, and economic justice.
The Communications Hub is looking for a multi-talented individual who thrives in a collaborative work environment. We’re looking for someone who can juggle many different issues, partners, and projects while keeping a careful eye on the long-term vision and work plan. This person will work in a team environment with Fuse staff, nonprofit coalitions, and progressive activists to execute coordinated communications campaigns for top priority issues and help partner organizations improve their communications infrastructure and capacity.
This full-time position is located in Seattle and will report to and work closely with the Communications Hub Director.
Provide direct communications support to organizational partners and priority campaigns.
- Research and draft messaging for advocacy campaigns
- Support the communications needs of partner organizations lacking communications infrastructure – generating content and coordinating communications
- Identify and collect stories from community members for communications
- Provide communications staffing support to the WA Voting Justice Coalition, All in For Washington, and other campaigns
Engage and build relationships with new partners and organizations, particularly groups led by and engaging with communities of color, immigrants, and refugee communities.
- Represent the Communications Hub at coalition and community meetings
- Engage new voices and build relationships with community organizations and leaders
- Facilitate the monthly meeting of the Communications Hub’s Communicators Table – a permanent communicators table for progressive organizations
Train and coach progressive advocates on innovative new communication strategies, skills, and best practices.
- The Communications Hub offers several trainings to partners – ranging from storytelling strategies to digital organizing to writing op-eds to using social media. The Communications Organizer will facilitate and lead these trainings with the support of the Communications Hub Director
- Build new trainings and toolkits based on feedback and requests from the community
- Provide on-going coaching to partners on how to implement a long-term narrative and integrate storytelling into advocacy communications
Assist on other Communications Hub campaigns and projects as needed
- New narrative campaigns driven by the latest research
- Race-Class Narrative trainings
- Messaging for candidates
- Training communications fellows
- Excellent writing skills and a knack for storytelling
- A mind for communications and political strategy
- A curiosity to learn and dive into the latest messaging research
- Proven experience working with or alongside communities of color
- Proven commitment to racial justice
- Some traditional and new media experience
- Creative, innovative, and have a sense of humor
- Strong public presence; Engaging and confident interpersonal style
- Collaborative and thrives working in a team setting
- Technology friendly
- Ambitious about increasing the strength of the progressive community and making serious changes in the world
- Training facilitation and curriculum development experience a plus
- Design skills a plus
- Bi-lingual a plus
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Communications Organizer”. The cover letter should detail why you are passionate about communications in the progressive movement, and why you want to work at the Communications Hub at Fuse. We will consider applications as they arrive with priority given to applications received by Friday, April 10, 2020.
This full-time position is located in Seattle, with a starting date as soon as possible. Flexible hours. Creative work environment.
The salary range for this position is $55,000-$65,000 DOE.
Fuse provides excellent benefits including medical, dental, and vision coverage, retirement package with a 3% employer match, ORCA transit pass, generous vacation time, and a flexible work environment with opportunities for professional development. Fuse has a strong team environment with great coworkers and a vibrant organizational culture.
Send all questions regarding this position to Reiny Cohen at email@example.com. Please no phone calls.
Fuse Washington is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. All interested individuals, including people of color, women, persons with disabilities and persons who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, gender nonconforming, or intersex are encouraged to apply.