The Coalition is a trusted and respected voice in our community as an advocate for people experiencing homelessness. We are a membership organization whose mission is to mobilize our community to challenge systemic causes of homelessness and advocate for housing justice. We envision a region that acts on a shared sense of responsibility to ensure everyone has a home. Our core values are Equity, Justice, and Collective Action. For more information about our current work, please visit www.homelessinfo.org.
We are looking for a dynamic person to join our small staff team as the Communications and Development Lead. Working closely with the Executive Director, the Board of Directors, as well as with the whole staff team, volunteers, donors, and community partners, this person leads communications and marketing, fund development activities, and manages related data. The Communications & Development Lead will bring skills related to fundraising, event support, and written and spoken communications while working collaboratively with volunteers and staff. Our ideal candidate is excited about leveraging time and talents toward a common purpose and inspiring others to join them.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the Executive Director and Office Manager to develop communication and fundraising strategies, coordinate mailings, and track progress on goals and engagement.
- Plan and implement fundraising and friendraising events with staff, board, and volunteers.
- Pursue sponsor, donor, and volunteer prospects, as well as ensuring ongoing donor cultivation and recognition that are congruent with our organizational values and approach.
- Manage the day-to-day gift stewardship process, including timely processing of donations and acknowledgement letters.
- Create, write, and edit compelling content for the organization’s website, newsletters, social media, blog articles, press releases, annual reports, presentations, and other communications.
- Demonstrated ability to write for multiple audiences while remaining rooted in organizational values and vision.
- Maintain communications calendar, coordinate emails, marketing, social media, and website content with other organizational initiatives.
- Develop materials for staff, board, and volunteers to use in communicating with potential and current donors and key stakeholders, ensuring consistent and clear messaging.
- Lead documentation for organization programs and projects through photography, video, and other materials, maintaining organization photo and video archives.
- General administrative and operational support
- Other duties as assigned.
- Model a commitment to equity and anti-racist goals.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- At least 3 years of combined experience in communications and fund development in a public or non-profit setting.
- Excellent communication skills and experience including persuasive writing and clear, concise narrative reports.
- Strong event coordination experience.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to work closely with internal agency and program staff, community partners, and philanthropic organizations.
- Ability to work individually in a self-directed manner and as part of a team, coordinating efforts with program staff and other development staff.
- Demonstrated planning, program development and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with cross-cultural communications and ability to be creative with messaging.
- Proficiency with Salesforce or a similar CRM
Work takes place in a small office with a dynamic shared-workspace environment. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic the office has adopted a hybrid model of in-person and remote work. We take seriously our responsibility to protect staff and community health by limiting the spread of disease: Workplace protocols are guided by the best current information and guidance provided by local, state, and federal public health agencies. All staff are fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19 according to current public health guidance. Offer of employment is conditional on candidate submitting proof of current vaccination for COVID-19. Separate office work areas ensure as much physical distancing as possible. Masks must be worn in the office in shared spaces. This position is primarily in-person (in both office and community settings) due to the nature of the work.
Work performance includes long periods of sitting, working on a computer. Ability to lift and carry up to 40 lbs. on an occasional basis. Some early morning, evening, and weekend hours are required. The Coalition offices are located on the third floor of an older building without elevator access. The stairs are steep.
This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of this position. All Coalition employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed, to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Compensation and Benefits
Starting Compensation: $30/hr, 1 FTE
Benefits: Generous benefits package includes 100% employer-paid medical, vision, & dental insurance for employee, commuter benefits (Orca card), and Employee Assistance Program. SEP IRA retirement account contribution. Flexible Paid Time Off (20 days plus 11 paid holidays.) Flexible scheduling by approval of supervisor.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Communications and Development Lead Application” in the subject line. Attachments in .pdf format preferred.
- Current resume highlighting your relevant experience and skills.
- A cover letter describing why you are applying for this position and how your previous experience qualifies you for this role. Please include your preferred start date if hired.
Resumes will be reviewed as they are received, with preference given to applications received by midnight PST on Monday, May 29, 2023. This position is open until filled. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Please note that we will only review resumes and evaluate candidates whose cover letters are responsive to the position qualifications.
Equal Opportunity and Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
The Coalition on Homelessness believes that a diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace culture enhance our ability to fulfill our mission. As an organization working to ensure safety, housing, and justice for people who are often marginalized by society, we seek to bring our values into the workplace through creating an inclusive work culture where our policies and procedures, including recruitment and hiring, reflect our commitment to social justice, and where all our staff feel valued. We are committed to providing a culture of mutual respect where equal employment and promotional opportunities are available to all applicants and staff without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, veteran, or marital status, sensory, physical or mental disability, housing status or history, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We prohibit discrimination and harassment.