The Administrative Associate is essential to Washington Environmental Council and Washington Conservation Voters operations. This person handles day to day bookkeeping functions, making sure information is complete, timely and accurate, and coordinates the smooth operation of our office. This position is a great opportunity for someone who values efficiency and likes to makes things run smoothly as part of a great team!
Washington Environmental Council (WEC) is a nonprofit, statewide advocacy organization. For over 50 years, WEC has brought people together to solve Washington’s most critical environmental issues. WEC builds power for the environmental movement by building partnerships, mobilizing the public, connecting voters to decision makers, and taking legal action. Our mission is to protect, restore, and sustain Washington’s environment for all.
Washington Conservation Voters (WCV) ensures Washington’s decision makers keep our environment protected, healthy, and vibrant. Over the last 35 years, we have elected environmental champions, held our elected leaders to the highest standard, and built statewide momentum for environmental campaigns through innovative voter outreach efforts and community organizing. WCV is committed to making sure all people in Washington state have a healthy environment and a strong, sustainable economy.
By effectively combining the policy know-how of WEC with the political know-how of WCV, we have reshaped how environmental protection is achieved in Washington. With one shared CEO, our organizations work in partnership as each pursues its unique mission. Combined, we have a staff of 35 and work in a LEED-certified building in downtown Seattle with a view of Elliott Bay. Given the current pandemic we are working remotely and foresee doing that for an extended period of time. Our teams have access to a variety of online tools and systems that support working remotely. Our expectation is that we will eventually return to some schedule of safely working together in our downtown office.
We offer competitive salaries, good benefits, and the opportunity to make a difference. We are committed to a diverse, socially just, and welcoming work environment and people of color, people with varying abilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are especially encouraged to apply. We continue to advance the application of a racial equity lens to our work, and are led by a CEO who is a woman of color.
The Administrative Associate is responsible for the day-to-day bookkeeping functions for WEC, such as bill payment and donation data entry to ensure our books are accurate. They will assist the HR Manager with confidential HR processes and other confidential functions, such as taking Board meeting minutes. They are responsible for greeting visitors once we return to the office post-pandemic and creating a positive, inclusive first impression with all who visit our office. This person is the main contact for ensuring the office runs smoothly and efficiently.
Duties for the position include:
- Lead WEC bookkeeping processes—including timely bill payment, deposit data entry, payroll tasks, month-end closing and generating QuickBooks reports for program and fundraising staff
- Work with WCV bookkeeper to ensure timely and accurate cross-organizational financial transactions
- Work with WCV bookkeeper and Admin Director to ensure bookkeeping processes are optimized for maximum efficiency
- Submit bi-monthly payroll for WEC and resolve any payroll related issues
- Submit quarterly and annual taxes to state agencies
- Work with Administrative Director and HR & Administrative Manager to complete annual financial audit and IRS Form 990 with WEC auditors
- Other bookkeeping tasks such as: tracking bank balances and upcoming expenses and assisting with financial reports for CEO, Board of Directors, grants and other purposes as needed
- Resolve bookkeeping anomalies in keeping with GAAP standards
- Assist HR & Administrative Manager with HR tasks such as scheduling interviews, assisting in evaluation of employee benefits, on-boarding new hires, updating benefit enrollment data, retention efforts
- Filing and maintaining security of employee and financial documents, including tracking of employee timesheets, benefits, banking, employee professional development opportunities and other HR duties as needed.
- Greet and assist office visitors
- Maintain and/or order office supplies, shared office equipment and physical space
- Update staff on a wide variety of office/building-related happenings (no issue is too small) and manage relationship with building management
- Attend and take minutes at WEC and WCV Board and Executive Committee meetings.
- Maintain positive working relationships with interns, contractors and vendors
- Lead the logistical planning for organizational retreats, staff meetings, gatherings, or trainings for both board and staff
- Actively participate in an organizational Racial Equity work group
- Assist WEC/WCV staff with setting up technology for meetings as needed
- Other duties as assigned as the organization evolves
Required Skills & Duties
- QuickBooks experience, nonprofit bookkeeping experience preferred
- Ability to manage several projects at one time and see them to completion
- Ability to quickly reprioritize according to emergent demands
- Attention to detail and highly organized. Must be great at following up on tasks
- Communicative, collaborative, pro-active and self-directed; Must be willing to step up when necessary to share the Admin Team workload
- Friendly and sociable as this position will be the first impression visitors have of the organization
- Ability to use discretion with confidential matters and be professional at all times
- In-office attendance at least two times per week
- Experience working with nonprofit fundraising staff
- Experience interacting with volunteers or interns
- Familiarity with Salesforce database
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite
- Enthusiasm for learning and using online tools such as, Zoom, Doodle Poll, SignUpGenius, Slack, RingCentral, Salesforce and Box
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full time, exempt position with a salary range of $44,500-50,000 depending on experience. We also offer a generous benefits package including employer paid medical, vision and dental insurance, 401k plan and organizational match of up to 3% of your annual salary, a flexible spending account, paid vacation and sick leave, ten paid holidays per year, an unlimited ORCA transit pass, and if you work for seven consecutive years you are eligible for a two-month paid sabbatical. We welcome new and diverse people to a great team who together shape environmental protection in Washington.
COVID-19 Due to the nature of this position, in-office attendance is mandatory for onboarding and training, which will lead to at least 2 days per week on a regular schedule. The organization follows all requirements of local health authorities. We are currently working in hybrid remote mode with most staff coming to the office voluntarily. We maintain strict safety protocols while in our office. All staff who come to the office must be fully immunized against COVID-19.
Please submit a cover letter and a resume here. No phone calls or mailed applications please.
Washington Environmental Council is an equal opportunity employer committed to dismantling structural racism and creating a welcoming work environment. WEC does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, gender, religion, marital status, veteran’s status, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation. People of color, people with disabilities, and people of all gender identities are encouraged to apply.