Washington Environmental Council: Administrative Assistant
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Position summary: The Administrative Assistant supports the financial management and reporting processes for Washington Conservation Voters and assists with board and staff support for both Washington Conservation Voters and Washington Environmental Council. The Administrative Assistant is a key member of the Admin Team and coordinates with other team members to ensure administrative duties are completed in an efficient manner.
Washington Conservation Voters (WCV) is the statewide political voice for the environment. We work to elect environmentally responsible candidates to state and local offices. Working with allies in the community, we advocate for strong environmental policies and hold our elected officials accountable during the legislative session. Through our political work, we are strengthening laws that safeguard the health of our communities, the beauty of our state and our economic future.
Washington Environmental Council (WEC) is a nonprofit, statewide advocacy organization that drives positive change to solve our state's most pressing environmental challenges. For 50 years, we have been at the forefront of environmental protection in the state, securing laws and policies that safeguard the health of our families and our environment. From bedrock laws like the State Environmental Policy Act, to free electronic waste recycling, to finding solutions that reduce our climate emissions and build our clean energy economy, WEC ensures a healthy future for our state so it remains a great place to live and work.
By effectively combining the policy know-how of WEC with the political know-how of WCV, we have reshaped how environmental protection is achieved in Washington state. While both organizations are independent, we work very closely together. Combined, we have a staff of 30 and work in a LEED-certified building in downtown Seattle with a view of Elliott Bay. We offer competitive salaries, good benefits, and the opportunity to make a difference.
- Maintain WCV books in an ethical, legal and transparent manner in accordance with GAAP standards. The Admin Assistant is responsible for day to day bookkeeping for both the 501c4 and affiliated PAC: this includes A/P, A/R, deposit data entry, and providing reports to WCV staff and board.
- Support development staff with financial reporting for grants, major gifts, events and other fundraising purposes.
- Assist with annual audits for both PAC and 501c4.
- Ensure that tax, license, registration filings and paperwork are submitted in a timely fashion to assure consistent operation of the organization.
- Provide Administrative Director financial information for Public Disclosure Commission reporting and eventually take over PDC reporting duties. Track bank balances and upcoming expenses. Keep Administrative Director informed of balances. Interact with bank personnel for tasks like setting up new check signers.
- Completes monthly reconciliation between accounting and donor database to ensure the two systems are in accord.
- Assist in recruiting for open positions and help ensure recruiting processes meet organizational goals concerning racial equity. Ensure staff meet their recruiting responsibilities, following up with candidates. Evaluate recruitment methods and related tasks.
- Help maintain up-to-date personnel files and ensure staff job descriptions are updated annually.
- Other human resources duties as needed. This is an area of growth for this position and the organization.
- Assist with planning and execution of board meetings, staff meetings, staff retreats and other office events.
- Ensure an effective office environment, including maintaining central filing system, stocking organizational supplies, and maintaining office machinery.
- Proficient with QuickBooks Pro and Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping practices required, nonprofit bookkeeping experience preferred.
- Discretion and integrity to work with and maintain confidentiality of sensitive personnel information.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
- Must be able to work some weekends, evenings and early mornings for the annual WCV Fundraising breakfast. The hours are generally flexible between 8am-5pm but there will be sporadic board meetings or fundraising events that will require morning, evening or weekend work.
- Ability to learn other software applications, including, but not limited to, Salesforce, Content Management Systems, and other web based programs.
- Ability to thrive in a busy environment with competing time demands, and keep multiple projects moving forward at the same time.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a regular part time (20 hour/week) position with a salary range of $18K-$20K per year depending on experience. The job includes the following benefits: employer paid medical, dental and vision insurance, a 401k plan and organizational match of up to 3% of your annual salary, a flexible spending account, pro-rated paid vacation and sick leave, ten paid holidays per year, an unlimited ORCA transit pass, and if you work for seven consecutive years you are eligible for a two-month paid sabbatical. We welcome new and diverse people to a great team who together shape environmental protection in Washington.
Please submit a cover letter and a resume via our website: https://wcvoters.org/jobs/administrative-assistant/. No phone calls or mailed applications please.
Washington Conservation Voters is an equal opportunity employer committed to dismantling structural racism and creating a welcoming work environment. WCV does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, gender, religion, marital status, veteran’s status, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation. People of color, people with disabilities, and people of all gender identities are encouraged to apply.