Sightline Institute: Senior Communications Associate
Sightline Institute, the Northwest’s sustainability think tank, seeks an experienced Senior Communications Associate to help lead Sightline’s strategy for connecting our work to our increasingly diverse target audience of Northwest media and decision makers. Sightline generates a tremendous amount of media attention, with nearly 1,100 placements in the previous two years alone. The successful candidate will have the ability to dig deep into Sightline policy issues and work closely with Sightline researchers to develop effective media pitches, along with strategically savvy outreach plans, while also having the creativity and project management skills to synthesize Sightline’s work into 280-character tweets or develop videos and podcasts. The Senior Communications Associate will have a keen attention to detail, possess an unflappable demeanor, be efficient, and creative. S/he will possess excellent storytelling and editing instincts.
This position reports to the Senior Communications Manager. Each Sightline staff member serves as a community-builder and ambassador of our mission, and so passion for a sustainable and equitable Northwest is a must as is a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Primary responsibilities include:
Media strategy & management
- Help develop thoughtful, creative, strategies for promoting Sightline’s research.
- Pitch stories, and help manage incoming media requests of researchers by developing and providing relevant resources to reporters.
- Grow Sightline’s media list and facilitate deeper relationships between researchers and reporters.
- Maintain regular contact with key reporters to position Sightline as their “go-to” source for Northwest sustainability topics.
- Evaluate and report on the results of Sightline’s media outreach.
Content development, marketing, and research team support
- Publication strategy and promotion:
- Work with research teams to develop articles, message and audience targets.
- Package content for maximum reach and influence, including development of multimedia content, op-eds, speaking engagements, etc.
- Coordinate media campaigns around reports, books, and other publications.
- Edit articles and reports for narrative and messaging quality, according to Sightline style standards, diversity, equity, and inclusion considerations, and for improved SEO results.
- Identify key audience targets and audience growth opportunities.
Key qualifications include:
- Experience developing media strategy, pitching stories, and managing relationships with media
- Clear, compelling communicator
- Interest and expertise in equity, inclusion and diversity
- Experience managing staff and developing plans for nurturing their growth and development
- Experience with project management
- Keen attention to detail
- Ability to connect easily with people
- High degree of professionalism
- Creative problem solver
- Understanding of marketing outreach channels, including social media platforms
- Working knowledge of principles of SEO including keyword research and Google Analytics
- Critical thinker, ability to distill and effectively communicate complex issues to lay audiences
- Excellent writer and editor with strong copy- and line-editing skills
- 5 years of experience in related work preferred
Salary & Benefits:
Sightline offers competitive benefits, including health and dental insurance, four weeks of vacation, ten days sick/safe leave, nine paid holidays, retirement contribution, and a three-month paid sabbatical every seven years. The salary range for this position is $55,000-65,000 DOE.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample compiled together as one PDF document, addressed to Riley Kent: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in the body of your email where you saw this job listing.
In your cover letter:
In addition to your core qualifications for the position, please include any personal or professional experience you have working to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion (socioeconomic, racial, ethnic, and/or cultural).
Sightline appreciates a broad array of experiences and backgrounds and is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We continually strive to ensure that our audiences, staff, and board reflect the geographic, racial, ethnic, socio-economic, and other demographic diversity of the Northwest.
Priority given to those submissions made prior to Feb. 28, 2018. Position open until filled.