Sightline Institute: Communications Associate
Sightline Institute, the Northwest’s sustainability think tank, seeks an experienced Communications Associate to help lead Sightline’s strategy for connecting our work to our increasingly diverse target audience of Northwest media and decision makers. The Communications Associate promotes Sightline’s work through digital media – on our website, our social media channels and email newsletters, and through graphics, images, reports and multimedia content. A successful candidate will have a keen attention to detail, possess an unflappable demeanor, be efficient, and will have the skill and creativity to translate Sightline’s work into sharp and sharable visuals and 280-character tweets.
This position reports to the Senior Communications Manager. Each Sightline staff member serves as a community-builder and ambassador of our mission, and so passion for a sustainable and equitable Northwest is a must as is a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Primary responsibilities include:
Media strategy & coordination
- Help develop thoughtful, creative, strategies for promoting Sightline’s work.
- Oversee social media outreach.
- Sightline newsletters: Help manage Sightline’s suite of emails, including new topic-specific lists.
- Audience growth and targeting: Develop and execute strategies for reaching more of our target audiences. Compile and maintain audience lists.
Content development, graphics, and layout
- Help manage scheduling and formatting of articles and reports.
- Manage photos and strategic use of imagery.
- Creat graphics and multimedia in-house and coordinate outsourced design.
Communications support and coordination
- Reporting: Build on metrics compiled monthly, pulling key highlights and trends to regularly inform staff of progress on annual goals.
- Evaluate and report on the results of Sightline’s marketing and press outreach.
- Serve as the main contact for our website designer, while continually improving operation of the website. Make updates---content and technical—as needed.
Key qualifications include:
- Clear, compelling communicator
- Interest and expertise in equity, inclusion and diversity
- Keen attention to detail
- Ability to connect easily with people
- High degree of professionalism
- Creative problem solver
- Proficiency with content-management software like WordPress and MailChimp, and working knowledge of HTML
- In-depth knowledge and experience with social media platforms (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, YouTube, etc.) and social media marketing strategy
- Working knowledge of principles of SEO including keyword research and Google Analytics
- Critical thinker, ability to distill and effectively communicate complex issues to lay audiences
- Excellent writer and editor with strong copy- and line-editing skills
- 1-2 years of experience or equivalent in related work preferred
Salary & Benefits:
Sightline offers competitive benefits, including health and dental insurance, four weeks of vacation, ten days sick/safe leave, nine paid holidays, retirement contribution, and a three-month paid sabbatical every seven years. The salary range for this position is $35,000-45,000 DOE.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample compiled together as one PDF document, addressed to Riley Kent: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in the body of your email where you saw this job listing.
In your cover letter:
In addition to your core qualifications for the position, please include any personal or professional experience you have working to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion (socioeconomic, racial, ethnic, and/or cultural).
Sightline appreciates a broad array of experiences and backgrounds and is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We continually strive to ensure that our audiences, staff, and board reflect the geographic, racial, ethnic, socio-economic, and other demographic diversity of the Northwest.
Priority given to those submissions made prior to Feb. 28, 2018. Position open until filled.