SEIU Local 925: Member Resource Center Organizer
Position: Member Resource Center Organizer
Reports to: Secretary Treasurer
ABOUT SEIU LOCAL 925: The Service Employees International Union Local 925 (SEIU 925), is 18,000 working people united to improve our jobs and our communities. We are education workers from early learning to K-12 through higher education, as well as non-profit and local government workers. We are clerical, computer, food service, custodial, transportation, social and child care workers, adjunct professors, public defenders and many other jobs.
We are building a state that puts children and working families before big corporations and the rich and ensures that our education system is fully funded, birth through graduation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The MRC Organizer position is a non-field staff position responsible for a combination of duties and responsibilities that include:
- Servicing of bargaining units, including grievance processing, contract administration and working with state agencies.
- Designing, planning and implementing steward trainings and development programs.
- Supporting activists, and grievance processing of SEIU Local 925 members through managing the Member Resource Center (MRC) intake (phone, email, etc.) process.
- Ensure accurate and timely case-related data/document management using the employer’s data/document management system.
- Communicating with employers regarding grievances and contract enforcement.
- Communicating with the internal organizing teams and directors about organizing issues raised by member communications to the MRC.
- May assist and/or lead in collective bargaining
- May handle mediations, arbitrations, and unfair labor practices
- May participate in public policy activity such as legislative and political work.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Highly motivated
- Ability to work independently
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a culturally diverse environment
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple competing deadlines
- Community organizing or union organizing experience
- Legal experience
- Research experience
- Bi-lingual: Spanish, Somali, Vietnamese preferred
How to apply: send a cover letter and resume to Cindy Elizalde (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line “MRC Organizer”. You may also mail your application to Cindy Elizalde, SEIU Local 925, 1914 N 34th Street #100, Seattle, WA 98103.
This position will be open until 4/24. No phone calls, please. This position is represented by a staff union, and salary is set by the union contract. Benefits include fully paid health benefits including vision and dental, generous vacation time, paid retirement, car allowance, and cell phone reimbursement.
SEIU 925 is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. All interested individuals, including people of color, women, persons living with disabilities and persons who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer are particularly urged to apply.