Climate Solutions: Director of Programs
Director of Programs
About Climate Solutions
Climate Solutions' mission is to accelerate practical and profitable solutions to global warming by galvanizing leadership, growing investment, and bridging divides. Since 1998, Climate Solutions has pioneered the vision and cultivated political leadership in the Northwest for the proposition that clean energy and broadly‐shared economic prosperity can go hand‐in‐hand.
We have recently completed our revised strategic plan. In the next 4 years, we will focus our efforts on swiftly transitioning the Northwest electrical grid to 100% clean energy faster than anywhere else in the nation; and to leveraging our clean grid to electrify as many energy uses for the built environment, industry, and transportation that we can. Our theory of change is grounded in our belief that powerful leadership actions in our region can spur changes far beyond the Northwest for national impact. For more information about Climate Solutions, visit www.climatesolutions.org.
This is a newly imagined position at Climate Solutions, one that we are creating to help us to achieve the vision embodied in our new strategic plan. The Director of Programs will have multiple responsibilities, but the driving focus is on maximizing the impact of all of our programs and program staff to accelerate clean energy and climate solutions; and working with the Executive Director and internal and external allies to build a powerful ecosystem of businesses, NGOs, government agencies, community partners, funders, and more to achieve the 100% Clean vision.
The Director of Programs will be charged with overseeing our program directors across our geographies and strategies, working to integrate our thought leadership, policy advocacy, field, communications, and partnerships with allies for maximum impact.
The position is a full-time, exempt position located in the Seattle and supervised by the Executive Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Directly oversee all of Climate Solutions programs across geographies and strategies
- Manage our overarching 100% Clean effort, the driving and central organizing principle for nearly all of our program work in the coming years
- Integrate our work across geographies to maximize synergies throughout the region and across our states
- Integrate the work of our core program functions--communications, policy advocacy, thought leadership, partnerships, and field--to ensure that all of our work is highly coordinated and impactful individually and collectively
- Oversee annual program planning, and develop and manage systems for evaluation, accountability, and adjustment throughout the year
- Develop strategies for ensuring that successes in our region are effectively communicated outside of the Pacific Northwest to inspire and catalyze action in other states and regions
- Incorporate the organization’s equity goals and analysis in all aspects of our work
- Directly supervise our Washington and Oregon state directors and our Communications Director. Additional staff supervision responsibilities may be added over time as our work evolves
- Ensure that staff reporting deadlines are met for program, development, and administrative tasks
Partnerships in the Climate and Clean Energy Ecosystem
- Work with the Executive Director and internal and external allies to align communities and networks working on climate and clean energy; identify new opportunities and means to accelerate the transition; and turbo-charge our collective work into a unified, powerful movement
- Five plus years in high-responsibility management roles including supervision of staff in leadership roles and program management
Demonstrated Skills and Knowledge
- Ability to implement a vision, think strategically, creatively problem solve, exercise good judgement, and lead change
- Facilitative and collaborative leadership style
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide array of people- staff at all responsibility levels, Board members, allied organizations and businesses, and people from diverse backgrounds
- Proven ability to work with a team of staff spread across multiple offices with a variety of learning and participatory styles
- Success supervising and mentoring staff development
- Experience with equity, diversity, and inclusion with a strong commitment and demonstrated ability to integrate equity practices
- Commitment to the mission, culture, and strategic vision of the organization
- High-level understanding of advocacy strategies and direct experience working on campaigns
- Strong project management skills managing complex, multifaceted projects resulting in measurable successes and program growth
- Strategic, systems thinker
- Creative problem solver
- Excellent communicator and writer, with experience tailoring messages to different audiences
This is an exempt position and the salary is competitive and dependent on experience. We also offer a generous benefits including medical, 4 weeks of paid leave, retirement, and an exceptional team of colleagues.
· Email a résumé, cover letter and at least three professional reference contacts in PDF format to email@example.com.
· Please put DIRECTOR OF PROGRAMS and YOUR NAME as the subject line of the email and address the cover letter to Gregg Small, Executive Director.
· Please label the cover letter and resume with your first and last name.
· In the body of the email, please let us know how you found out about the position.
· This position is open until filled, but priority review will be given to candidates who have submitted their applications by April 14th. Applications received after that date may be reviewed in a second round.
Climate Solutions is committed to equal opportunity in employment and promotion for all qualified persons without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, military or veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability, pregnancy and childbirth, family responsibilities, or any other basis protected by applicable laws, regulations, or guidelines relating to discrimination in employment.